Monday, December 10, 2012

Countdown to Christmas

The last few months of the year is always such a busy time - shopping, work, parties, dinners, housework, school activities, etc. Unfortunately, quality family time can sometimes get lost in the shuffle. I don't have small children at home anymore, but I do have grandkids that I'm always thinking about. When I saw a project that was posted on Pinterest, I thought "my grandkids might really like this". Here is the project that I saw.
So... of course I set out to create this really cute calendar for my grandkids. Here are just a few of the steps I took and how my completed project turned out.
 
I selected my canvas size (16 x 20) and the paint color (Americana Snow White). I painted this first and let it dry while I started on cutting out the paper pieces.
I picked out five different, coordinating 12x12 sheets from the Me & My Big Ideas, Mambi Sheets scrapbooking cardstock pad.

I cut out the following:
24 (2 5/8 inch) squares from the four patterned papers.
24 (1/2 inch x 7 1/2 inch) strips from the same four patterned papers.
2 (2 1/2 inch by 9 inch) strips for the header.
24  (2 7/8 inch) squares from the solid (or semi solid) paper.
24 (1 3/4 inch) snowflakes on my Cricut using the 'When It's Cold Outside' cartridge. You could also use circles or flower shapes to put on the top of the tins.
 
Then I started laying out the solid (semi solid) squares and the header strips (the header paper is actually from a sixth piece of paper from the same paper pad). Putting a coating of Mod Podge down first, then covering the paper with another coating of Mod Podge.
While the solid squares and header was drying, I used Mod Podge to adhere the strips of paper to the tins base (Wilton Favor Tins - purchased at Michael's - there are 30 in a package).
Next, I went back to adhering the second layer on the header and the smaller squares cut out of the patterend paper on top of the solid colored paper. Then the lettering was added to the header. These letters were white. So I had to paint them red and I used red Stickles to give the letters a little shine.
While the canvas was drying, I started on the tin lids. First I used the "When It's Cold Outside" cartridge to cut the snowflakes and used Cuttlebug's Swiss Dots embossing folder to give the snowflakes some texture.
The flakes were then adhered to the lids using Mod Podge.
The numbering on the tins were cut out using my Cricut and adhered to the lids. (Yes, I used a lot of Mod Podge.)
After adding a few other embellishments (Santa hats on the letters, Frosty and Santa), I used Velcro squares to attach the tins to the canvas. I did this so the tins can be moved around or taken off the canvas if they needed to be.
Inside each of the tins is a slip of paper with a different holiday activity that the kids will love to do. You can also put a few pieces of candy in each tin just for fun...and I'm sure the kids won't complain!
So when all was said and done, this is what  mine looks like. I had such a great time working on this. And I hope the kids will enjoy several years of a new family tradition.
 
There are several great ideas on Pinterest for fun family activities that can be used or you can come up with your own ideas.
 
I would love to hear if you have made one of these. How does you family schedule their time together during the holidays?
 
Thank you for stopping in for a visit. Hope you've enjoyed yourself!!

1 comment:

  1. very cute! i love that it's interactive, and that you can use it over and over each year. Hmm, the thing we schedule together is cookie-baking and driving around town to look at the lights together. xoxo

    ReplyDelete